W.B. Thorpe opened the opera house in 1889 and hosted a potpourri of early Americana entertainment. It was used as a dance hall in the 1920s, a youth center in the 1930s and 1940s, a movie house in the 1950s and remained vacant until its refurbishing in 1981. Monthly productions vary including theater, choir, solo performers and groups. Tours by appt. for a fee. Donations accepted for events.