The triangular stone monument was erected in 1913 by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) near the location where the historic Oregon Trail crossed the border from Kansas into Nebraska. The Oregon Trail Marker became a Historical Society property in 1993.
The three sides of the monument: Gage County, Jefferson County and Washington County Kansas.
Route of the movement to colonize Oregon for the United State. The first colony started May 15, 1842. Trappers and traders followed its course from about 1830. Its initial points were Independence and Westport, Missouri.
In its later period a main road to California, Utah and Colorado gradually superseded by railroads through its course, crossed the Kansas-Nebraska boundary 1986 feet east and the Gage-Jefferson County line 2286 feet north of this monument.
Can be visited anytime.