Honoring 75 Years: The History of Omaha's World War II Memorial Park
The Durham Museum
801 S. 10th St
Before the outcome of World War II was even assured, in 1943 Mrs. Lulu N. Broad, owner of the Gypsy Tea House, wrote a letter to Henry Doorly, publisher of the Omaha World-Herald, suggesting construction of a memorial for Douglas County area service men and women. After nearly a year of study by Omaha civic leaders, the World War Memorial Association was formed and suggested the 65-acre tract of land formerly occupied by the Happy Hollow Country Club and later, the Dundee golf course, to become the site of a permanent tribute for those men and women who served our country. The Durham Museum is proud to partner with the Omaha Parks Foundation to highlight the 75th anniversary of this Omaha landmark.